Tuesday 12 November 2013

Is ice REALLY the answer?

Hey guys and girls!

I know that sending you somewhere else is not exactly the greatest thing to do to encourage the growth of my own blog but I`m all about the sharing of knowledge! :)

I just stumbled across this fascinating post from Joshua Stone (apologies for not adding all of the letters after his name but it was beginning to look like I had spilt a can of alphabetti spaghetti!)

I think he makes some interesting points about not using ice as a treatment for swelling.

Have a read and let me know what you think...

http://athleticmedicine.wordpress.com/2013/11/07/why-ice-and-anti-inflammatory-medication-is-not-the-answer/

Happy reading

Cardiosaurus

2 comments:

  1. Mark Hines (markhines.org) says this repeatedly, too. He suggests that it does not promote recovery after normal exercise - and though it does not harm recovery, it does delay it for the duration of icing.

    He says that icing can have benefits if you ice following a big injury such as a muscle tear or a bone fracture.

    I was relieved to hear him say this - I used to hate icing after every run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Kris! Funny enough I am reading a book by Mr Hines at the moment! I found this very interesting and it seems to make a lot of sense now I have read it in that context. I guess we all are guilty of just taking advice at face value as everyone seems to do it! I'm going to try avoiding ice and just see what happens! :)

    ReplyDelete